Wednesday, August 5, 2009

28 weeks and an update from last week

So its been a week since I last went to the doctor and got the news that I never expected. In some ways I am really shocked that I’ve taken it so well. Granted the thought of Dot having problems does scare the hell out of me, but for some reason I have come to be at peace with it. Normally this would really not be how I am, but in some ways I am just trusting in my body. I know that I am eating right and staying as active as possible. Also much to everyone’s relief I haven’t been climbing on top of any Chinook helicopters this time too which helps.

The terbutaline that I was prescribed I only take when the contractions get bad. Meaning if I have 3 in an hour then I take it. Luckily, I have not taken it too many times. The problem with the terbutaline is it causes me to shake nervously, my heart races, I generally can’t think straight and at the same time it makes me drowsy. None of these are fun and when they are all together I have a hard time getting to sleep and just generally feel confused. Still the contractions are not linked to any activity or anything that I can figure out. When I get them is still very random.

This week I had my glucose tolerance test. Translation I think this is my least favorite part of any prenatal tests or things that are done. I was not allowed to have even water after midnight or after I drank the nasty stuff. The “glucola” last time was orange flavored which caused me to never touch Sunkist since. This time it was fruit punch which was even worse. It tasted like bad flavored cough syrup. I nearly threw up trying to drink it if that tells you anything. Hopefully I’ll get the results next week at my next visit and not have to do the 3 hour test. Once per pregnancy is plenty!

Also this past weekend my Palm Centro died a death from a hardware failure. Its something that Palm has known about apparently and will do nothing to fix. So luckily I was able to upgrade my phone early and I have a new Blackberry Storm. First impressions so far are that I now see why they are called “Crackberries”. 2 days with out a phone about drove me crazy and this one is really nice and has a ton of functionality.

Other than all the doctor stuff I have slowly started getting clothes and diapers ready for Dot. I found a bunch of the clothes that I saved from when Butters was little and have started sorting them and washing the 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes. Many of them are really boyish, but the onsies are great layering so I’m just going to let her wear them. I also found Butters old Nashville Preditors 0-3 month set with a hat, onsie, pants and a bib. I can tell you right now that Dot’s first hockey event (game or coaches’ luncheon) she will be wearing this! That is unless we get a UAH one that she can wear.

Also I am working on fixing up some old Bum Genius 2.0 diapers and fitting them with snaps at the waist instead of the aplix they came with. It’s a pretty slow process but its coming along and hopefully I’ll have it all done before she gets here. I'll post some pictures once I get some completely finished.

I’m not getting ahead of myself though. We have a baby shower planned for this weekend back in Moody so I am trying not to do too much nesting until after the shower so I can see what exactly we will need.

I guess that’s about all for now. Hopefully after my appointment next week I will have good news. In addition, I am really looking forward to this weekend’s baby shower. This will be the last time I travel to Moody until after Dot is here due to the very good possibility that I will go early.

No comments: