Wednesday, August 27, 2008

John Hagee on SAHD's

"For others its laziness, you're too lazy to work and support your children. I'm talking about men. You call yourself Mr. Mom, God calls you a bum. St. Paul says you are worse than an infidel. Let me look you right in the eye and tell you that Hell is your future home if all you do is sit on your backside and let your wife support you in your life." John Hagee

I came home one night and W showed me the Youtube video of Jon Hagee and his speech about his thoughts on men being the care givers to their children rather than the women. He automatically assumes that these men are all lazy because they stay home. This is so far from the truth that it really irritated me. Granted W and most other SAHDs have endured the looks and snide comments but this just takes things to a whole new level. I know W is NOT lazy. I swear Butters keeps me on my toes all weekend so I can only imagine what he goes through in a given week.

The last comment about letting your wife support you is also just wrong. I guess Mr. Hagee never imagined that a woman would suggest such thing to her husband like I did to W so long ago. I guess Mr. Hagee thinks that either both parents should work and the kids be in day care or just the husband. Granted our case was an easy decision. I make much more than W working full time so it only made sense that I work outside of the home while he stays and takes care of Butters during the day.

Then again according to his logic because I work, go to graduate school and play hockey I guess I'm also a bad mother. Wow I can't help but laugh at all that nonsense!

I realize that this is all a rant and I'm ok with that. I just had to make my opinion known of how much I disagree with this man regarding my family structure and what works for us.

1 comment:

ED said...

I haven't seen the video, but I don't know if I need to. Going just by the quote this is, at its root, based in anti-woman attitudes. Read between the lines:

- Traditional women's work is, in Hagee's opinion, easier that working outside the home.
- Mothers, compared to fathers, do less work.
- Stay-at-home mothers just "sit on their backside".
- Women who stay home with kids just "let their men support them".
- And this is all acceptable for women, but not men, because - reading between the lines even more - women are weaker than men. Or so I've heard from similar mindsets.

Some follower Hagee is of the Christ who first showed his greatest miracle (resurrection) to a woman. Whose first miracle was performed at the behest of a woman (His mother, Mary, and turning water into wine at Cana). And Christ's followers affirmed the equality of men and women. This guy sounds like the type to get so hyped up over women being submissive that he misses the man's mission to love her as Christ loved, unto death on a cross. And Christ's love shown by washing His disciples' feet doesn't seem that far from washing kids up after meals. Christ often loved and led as a servant to others . . . so really, why shouldn't men today do the same?

But before I get too upset, maybe I'd better actually view the video, so I can blog about it with actual knowledge.